Sunday, November 27, 2005

CAT...Since 2003

Somewhere deep inside all of us lies a cute kid...he shows his face once in a while and makes us do something that we always wanted to do...but never had the chance to...maybe because we never had the time (although we had time to land at Mocha...and bide time over a vertigo), maybe because we didn't want it bad enough...or simply because we never had the will to let it happen...
And when he (the kid) does pop-up, the urge to do the unconventional is so strong...you think that you can conquer the world...well almost.

A certain such urge has cropped up in my mind..again...
I always cribbed to God that he didnt give me talents...
I aint much of a dancer, can sing to disperse a crowd and paint a cow when i want a frog and vice-versa. If there is something that i can do decently, it is to write...(or should i be saying type).
Or so i console myself!

well...enough of the abstract...Let me get into the crux of the matter...

I always wanted to script a short story...something that was close to my heart...
Something with which i could talk my heart out...and something that others would relate to and want to listen.

But there wasnt anything that i could place my finger on. Then, a fine day, a dear friend asked me whether I had read 5 point Someone by Chetan Bhagat. I pleaded ignorance. What caught my attention was an innocuous statement by her that although the book was decent enough, given the chance, I could do a better job!

The very next day, I had bought the book and read the same(The first page of the book bears testimony to the above mentioned incident). It was good. But then, i thought that it didn't deserve the hype.

And one statement kept ringing in my mind
"...you can do a better job than him...".

And now, I have an opportunity to live that dream...
I have an idea!

I present to you...

CAT...Since 2003!!!
:-)
This happens to be the name and the subject of the short story that i intend to pen...
It is a touchy and memorable topic to all those amongst us who came to Pune with a dream...A dream of the IIMs!

When we embarked on the journey, we were quite a handful. However, since then, we have meandered and taken our own paths. Some have moved on and some have moved out. But the CAT of 2003 was agruably the best time of our lives...since then we have diligently(???) made efforts. But the dream of Vastrapore (for the ignoramus, the address of IIM-A reads IIM, Vastrapur, Ahmedabad) remains a dream...
But we haven't give up hope (or have we?). We continue in our efforts to rise to the pinnacle...
And this forms the crux of my story...
I dont intend to keep it auto-biographical...for two reasons...
one, life is weirder than fiction and hence difficult to digest...and two, i dont want to make my life a open book... ;-)
I want to keep people guessing as to what is fact and what is fiction (assuming i find someone brave enought to endure the same...in fact, considering you have reached this far, would you want to take the first shot? ;-> ).

I know the entire concept sounds like one crazy idea! But guess what???
Normal is boring!!!. Not that i am bored with life or anything of that sort...(or that i dont have work at Lehman...i write these at night),but the penchant of doing the unusual is definitely more rewarding than the mundane...

With this, i begin the wonderful journey of the dream!


CAT...since 2003!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo max!
jus thought would inaugrate ur page..i always encourage freedom o expression and the art of writing n believe the whole dark page thing, the underground look, well, been there, done that n still love it..
love the site design..looks sophisticated..
anyway keep up the site n maybe soon with a comp upgrade n some free time will definitely join u in the blog-world.
as they say- resistance is futile!!hehe!!
Dru
p.s. dint kno where to put the general comments so just put it here..

Gotta Be Max said...


Thanx Dru!!!
Its just early days with the URL and i hope to include lotsa features...do this stuff at night..hence dont get a lot of time for it...But as someone said,
'Slow and steady wins the race!'
Get the comp upgrade done and make some free time..
Resistance is futile indeed!!
;)
I intend to keep a place for general site comments...some time later...
till then, this will do!

Anonymous said...

I talked to Vora the other day.. Hope u send this to him.

We were reminiscing those days in pune and xchanging notes on everyone in that group from our glory days